Monday, July 30, 2007

A Late-Summer Night's Dream

Fragrance from a dozen kinds of flora
Tickled my senses alive
The warm summer wind in my hair
Made me want to cry...

This was basically what was running through my head when I sat there, on the rare occasion that I decided to do something nice, all by myself. It was positively scenic- calm, serene, a feeling of peace within myself. Occupied with a good book with a whole bench to myself in the park, with 200 or more people around, I almost forgot their existence. I managed to get this wonderful spot just when I was getting tired of having this old man peering over my shoulder as if i was reading the alchemist's secrets, learning how to get the Midas' touch.

I picked up my bag and walked over to the bench, quickly before it was taken again. Sitting cross-legged, book in lap, I forgot the world, busily buzzing away, right in the heart of the ever alive and moving Manhattan.

It seemed beautiful, but not moving at first. I sat slowly inhaling the fresh perfumes so generously being lent to me by the beautiful white, purple and pink flowers surrounding me. It was a little later I realized how wonderful it really was. Another hundred pages later, I raised my head to find it was dark out, and then saw the faint patches of light streaming on the ground and forming careless patterns where I was. The movie started almost immediately, Black and White of course. A hush fell over the crowds gathered and for those few moments, all I heard was the beautiful opening score of the movie, the summer wind whispering mischievously and the earth giving me a beautiful mental massage with her fragrant caresses. The ultimate romantic illusion.

An hour into the movie, the excitement I felt since that moment of realization was quite dimmed, because of the fact that I, was all alone on that park bench, in my ultimate romantic stage.

It burned out abruptly, when for my mis-fortune, a nearly drunk and staggering man found the need to park his rear on the other end of the bench. The fragrance now turned into the heavy stench of alcohol.

Thirty seconds later, book in hand, I found my way out of the park, disappointed, but thankful for the few hours of peace I had felt in a long time. My Summer Love was rejuvenated.

No comments: