Monday, July 30, 2007

Coffee and Bottled-Water

This may be a sequel or prequel or not at all related to "Snickers and Ice-Water." I guess I have been bitten by the blog-bug and let's see how long the effects will last.

Since last night I have this curiosity for the species "Femme Anorexic" in other words, starving women in NY (for now)and by Jehovah, I am not referring to the homeless.

I realized that they are all the victims of one thing. The obsession to look good. They certainly do, with flawless skin, visible bones and a bright prospect of acute arthritis in the future. Even High School children.

I observed this particular species on the street, in the subway and lounging about or waiting in front of Julio's for the morning caffeine dosage. There, with the short smart suits, perfectly waxed arms/legs, figure hugging jeans, pointy-toe high heels and the general air of contempt for the chubby and fleshy beings.

Mark you, I'm not pro-obesity, I've been fighting that all my life. But I feel pity for these people, who are so involved in how they look and how many calories they just ingested. They must be quick calculators, because they probably can look at an item of food and calculate the number of hours in the gym they will have to spend, proportional to the number of grams of fat (or should I say trans-fat) they will be in danger of accumulating.

Being thin (or a BOB) does not necessarily mean a sign of health and being chubby doesn't mean you're on a one-way track to spinster-hood. I wish I could convince myself of that :)

After a year or so in the "cheerleader club" (a.k.a thin-women-who-don't-eat-club) I was happy when my mother and elder sister force fed me and made me now an outcast from that club. I missed eating ice-creams and feeling good about it. I resolved that I would remain strong and healthy and possibly single for a long long time, rather than ensure my senior years as an invalid.

Not that I'm a health-freak, because if I was, I probably wouldn't be chubby, and also I would have been poorer than I am, spending too much on health foods. Can you believe you have to pay for the gym, pay for the salads, in general, become poorer to become healthier.

Coolies in India eat healthy if not rich food and work hard, and are probably much healthier than most millionaires with personal gyms, and unlimited salads to die on.

I'm for healthy, even if it means fat. What do you think?

No comments: