Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Patriotism for dummies - Volume 1

I just spent a whole hour and a half watching the presidential democratic debate and realised that these debates bring to light so many issues that were hardly in the focus of any regular US citizen.

While I paid close attention to all the topics that were being contended upon, it dawned on me that I had not made any such attempt to figure out how exactly the elections in India were going.

Frankly speaking, I have never voted till now, and I gained my legal voting status 6 years ago. Hell, I didn't even know when the elections were held!

This led to yet another analysis of the matter at hand, which was, "Why do most young Indians hardly care who is governing them?"

Not that I am unpatriotic or anything, I believe in "Mera Bharat Mahan" and all that jazz, and I truly like India for it's cultural background and everything, but stop and think for a minute. Are we really as concerned with the current state of our country as we should be?

I for one, am not even a little concerned. I know that it is going to bring a lot of heavy artillery on me for saying it so candidly, but it is true. I don't remember the last serious time I was honestly thinking about how to change the country. Hell, other than having my family back home, I didn't want to go back because it is just so convenient here in the US of A. Sure a lot of people are going to say, "Of course I'm going back," but get real, when was the last time you saw an immigrant leave because they honest-to-goodness wanted to, and not because of some reason like, for the sake of the children growing up and stuff like that? If you have, then good for you. Personally all the Indians I know who left the country left, either because they had to (not wanted to) or for family reasons such as their children reaching school going age. Everybody knows that the schools here teach such diluted syllabus that the kids learn our middle school math, in high school. That tends to make them less informed, mind you: not stupid, just less informed. Not to mention the obesity and loss of Indian culture that happens when growing up here. In fact, given the opportunity, I'd stay here, get a nice citizenship and keep everyone happy.

My subsequent question is, why have so many of us given up on our country?

I have my reasons. I was not always like this. I did my bit, kept my promise to keep my country clean by not littering, by using public transport when possible, to reduce pollution and all that. I even helped make a lot of my friends aware and forced some into doing their bit, even in the face of sheer insult. I did that for a long time. I believed in the free speech and the power of the written word. All that was till I found out that the power of the written word was also dependent on the power of money. No, No, it is true.

I faced a whole bunch (big big big bunch) of inconveniences with respect to public services, and I patiently dealt with all of them, which meant I sweet-talked and coaxed, and sometimes threatened (but never bribed) to get a lot of things done, which should have been done without these methods being necessary.

I needed to use several government related service in New York, including applying for an SSN, get insurance work done and a number of other things. To my surprise, nowhere, and I repeat nowhere, did I need to use another technique other than politeness (which is correct) to get the work done quickly, efficiently and with no side-effects.

Looking at the two scenarios, and given the choice, what would you do? I already told you what I would like to do. Now it's your turn. Think. Ah Ah Ah! No cheating. No lying.

It is true that only the rich enjoy life in India. When you are middle class, you are pretty much screwed. There is no buffer for the middle class when they are faced with a tax increase. They just don't have the money. I should know, I am from a middle class family and we had trouble making things comfortable at home. My mother has single handedly supported the family for over a decade now, with my father retired with a puny (Rs. 300 a month) pension. And I have truly known the meaning of being "broke all the time."

Why don't we have something to protect our aged and retired? Why don't we have better health care? And why in God's name are the rich getting richer, while the poor are getting poorer? It doesn't make any sense.

God willing I will support my parents with all my heart, but what if I cannot, because I am earning 5 figures, but that is not enough? Inflation is so inflated that a blimp is a sorry representation.

A hundred rupees has no value now. A hundred rupees!! When I was a kid, we got 5 litres of petrol. now we don't even get 2! A single decent meal outside for 2 people costs hundreds of rupees. What is that about?

Here, 20 dollars is a lot of money. you get good clothes and maybe practical decent shoes and I can eat 4 full platters of Chinese food. Thing is, spending 20 dollars doesn't sting, as much as spending 1000 rupees for the same.

I've heard the story. "I'll earn a lot of money and then go home and live in luxury." I think it's a great idea, but for God's and everyone else's sake, don't call that patriotism. It's called something, not entirely, like "capitalism." When you have enough money to bribe everyone into getting your job done, or by simply scaring them with your wealth, you wouldn't mind India. Hell, you wouldn't mind Saudi Arabia!

Well, I've thrown in my hat, and I'm tired of typing, so now you tell me what you think of it.

1 comment:

Pradip said...

do i get the feeling that you lost hope?