Thursday, August 2, 2007

Call, Cancel, Crap!

Here I was, sitting at the park, at lunchtime and really wondering what I was doing here when I distinctly remembered, I was meeting friends for lunch at the park, supposed to be enjoyed with a side of Broadway shows. Wait a minute, there is no one else with me, is there? I thought so. This being a particularly bad spot for me, with people canceling left, right and center, I wonder why I even agree to making plans in the first place.

Things used to be good once upon a time, with people keeping up plans and making time to spend with other friends. And as usual I called my dear friend in the far away land of Detroit, who never has given me the nudge even once, except for having the bad habit of exagerating the amount of time she would take to call me back. And she heard my sob story and consoled me. "It happens," she says sympathetically, and I think to myself, "Yeah, it happens," which led me straight to my laptop.

Thanks to my other dear friend, I was spared from having a desolate afternoon. I was practically ecstatic when she agreed to drop everything and come to meet me for lunch, even though she had already finished hers. It wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention that the first friend who cancelled made it a point to come and meet me anyway, at least for sometime, before I went off for my last minute lunch appointment. I really appreciate that gesture; she could have just left it, but she took the time out to come and see me anyway. Hard to do that sort of thing.

But that got me thinking to past such events, when people didn't care, like my friend I just mentioned, and just left it at that.

Anyway, back to my real issue at hand. My question is, once grown up, do we get so involved with our jobs and selves and boyfriends (current or ex or non-existant) that we can forget our other friends? Are we really that cold?

I rarely turn down invitations to go out and give someone company, unless I really have something else, or I don't like the company. This happens rarely, maybe 1 or 2 times out of ten.

By nature I'm a no-nonsense and reserved person (yeah you should read this before you meet me, you wouldn't believe the reserved part otherwise) and I frankly would prefer a good book or movie to "hanging out", but that was before. Then they pulled at me and dragged me to all the group activities (and by "they" I mean my "friends") and then change me into that kind of person who short of having "loo-company", needs company for pretty much everything else.

Carrie Bradshaw said "Once in a blue moon, you can change a woman," but I wonder why people try to change other people and then leave no use for the "changed/new" built nature. It's like renovating an old castle into a beautiful new 5 (or maybe 4) star hotel and then abandoning it. Does it even make sense? I think if you want to play God (Hypothetically speaking) then you should be responsible for your creation or mutation, whichever. So now, I have decided to do a "system restore" back to the point when I could spend days alone and not worry about it. Somehow it is better.

"Friends" don't have time these days, to stop and see beyond the smiling exterior of someone with a really messed up mind.And the wierd part is, when someone needs a friend, they don't go to one, thinking they have the power to work things out a.k.a "I don't need help."
"And why should anyone else be any different?" they ask.

I believe such people need a lobotomy.

As to my original thread of thought, here goes for everyone. If you can't keep up plans, avoid making one, and if you can't spend time with friends, then don't waste people's time by having any.

And some people are so grown up about things, that when you say you're sad, they listen for ten minutes in their very busy schedules and then say, "Whatever."

No comments: