Thursday, August 9, 2007

Clime, Chocolate and the Carribean

It was no manic Monday, and it was no freaky Friday. It was that day of the week when the pressure of work wears off almost, the day that serves as the transitional between the hectic, always too long, work week and the always too short weekend.

It's the wonderful Thursday. I always felt something special for a Thursday, apart from it being my only strictly-veggie day of the week (Don't ask!). Normally my Thursdays are a hazy time of the week, when I barely realize what is happening, floating in and out of meetings and dreaming of how I can spend my near-at-hand valuable days of rest and relaxation.

Wipe that smirk off your face, unlike "some" people, I don't get "rest and relaxation" on weekdays. :)

This Thursday was remarkable. It was one of those really amazing days when you give thanks to the Lord for life, and the flora we hardly notice and tell our problems to go suck an egg. Precisely that. I didn't quite notice the nature of the day till it was half gone, but better late than never right? Well, what factored the revelation? Reggae. Yes, you read it right, Reggae.

You see, the school where I educate myself (or more accurately, pretend to be smart enough to be there), is located right in the middle of a commercial a.k.a business center, and these business people are nice enough to provide some form of entertainment (albeit an inexpensive one) to the toiling stockbrokers and programmers and all the jungle. This is in the form of a weekly concerto featuring unknown (for whatever reason) bands, over a range of music genres. Once in a while these concertos are really amazing, rather than the regular "good". I believe this week they found one such band.

Normally we wish for soundproof glass during Thursdays, but this time the beat was good, the thump was right and the guitar intermediate and fairly non-AvantGarde. Thankfully the man's voice was almost inaudible. But there was something so lazy about the beat that it was contagious. It spoke to my confused mind and said to it, "Aw.. shut it woman, and just pretend you are on a slow boat in the Caribbean with a nice drink." And my mind jumped on the boat almost immediately. Face it, warm weather, a Summer day, and a little time to spare, what did you expect would happen?

I threw a thick tarpaulin sheet over the "Lose weight and Stop spending" policy I was on for a couple of months now (to facilitate uncovering and resuming it later) and went out to get something made with chocolate. Soul Food.

Thus, pace slowed, mind relaxed and thirst quenched with a cold chocolate coffee, I came to my work spot, got hyped on calories and got to writing this far. Wouldn't you say I'm having a rather wonderful afternoon?

1 comment:

Laasya said...

U r a woman after my own heart... May your tribe increase!!!