Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Savior...Sadist?


warning: expletives used liberally.



"There's something about you... Like you're hurting too..." -- House, Season 3.

In my recent list of addictions, House has ranked highest. When a friend recommended it to me months ago, I brushed it off as another medical series that would be filled with large words and complex sentences and innumerable shiny gadgets that somehow is available to a general hospital, meaning available for little or no charge to the poor and suffering public. It was only a matter of coincidence that many months since that recommendation, I stumbled on 5 episodes, and out of sheer boredom, started watching "House."

And the addiction started.

It's been days. I've been hunting down all the episodes that I can get my big hands on, and absorbing all the things I can. Hell, I even learned some fancy words.

And I found Dr. Gregory House.

What attracted me to the series was not the fact that there were sensational cases being solved, medical mysteries pondered upon, and split second decisions saving lives. It was just House.

House, a broken, bitter and brilliant man, who never for once stood out like a shining hero, saving the day. Who was remembered by the people he saved as more of a jerk than a joy.

A true Godsend with a grumpy exterior, and a prickly interior, surrounding a heart that had been hardened and had no hope of being melted. A genius nonetheless.

A man who cared nothing for those he saved. All that mattered to him was results and finding the solution, and the best part? He never pretends otherwise.

A breath of fresh air, a break from the usual sticky super heroes who stand with cape billowing in the wind, while people applauded. I tip my hat to the creator of the character.

I think you will find no surprise in the fact that I love the character of Severus Snape too.

I have no time for idiots and fools who dabble around wasting time on unnecessary things such as sugarcoating the situation, creating deception and a sense of false comfort for those affected by the situation.

After all, feeding a man dinner at a 5 star restaurant and then telling him he had 24 hours to live is hardly necessary.

I'm not twisted, to believe that these are nice characteristics. Merely necessary ones. I find the naked truth a lot more easier to face than someone simpering and lying, only to take the long road home. It's rubbish, it's useless, it's stupid.

And I detest stupidity, especially if I am in a position to be sporting it. Ask my friends, and they will tell you that I am the one to be the bearer of bad news, because I'm more comfortable telling people they are in a truckload of trouble, rather than hold their hand and tell them that it will all work out, when I clearly have no clue of what the future holds.

An interesting opinion I came to hear was that it was being cowardly, to be unable to lie to people on their faces, and create that phantom cocoon. No no, I'm not laughing just yet. I'd really like someone to explain to me why it is more cowardly to tell people the truth, when by lying we are only misusing trust that the other person has in us, not to mention delaying the fall of the blade.

Moral support? Hardly. I think moral support is worse when you hear people saying it will all be fine after you've lost your first born. Absolute bullshit. How is Circe's name do you know what it is to lose a first born that does not belong to you? Even if you have lost your own, how is it the same as this?

That's the trouble with humans. They tend to oversimplify the situation when all that is required is clarity. Clarity is not necessarily the same as making it look easy as pie.

Pie is not even easy to make. Ha!

The point I was getting at is, people have trouble facing things as it is. We always look for an external factor to place the blame, the easiest and the stupidest being "luck."

I do not believe in luck. I believe in probability.

I'm not exactly disabusing anyone of the notion of luck, merely disregarding it, because it makes no sense.

You get hit by a car, bad luck mate, never you mind the fact that you were jay walking on a busy street. Someone infinitely more stupid than you gets the job that clearly someone of your intelligence should get, bad luck mate, probably bad karma, regardless of the fact that you probably didn't fit what they were looking for.

It's stupid.

Why make excuses? Why does a dog lick himself? Same difference. Because it can be done.

Because we do not want to feel shame, guilt or defeat, or any of those myriad negative emotions that result from calling a spade a bloody spade.

Because we are cowards. Luck, my very large arse.

It's not that I can explain why something happens, but I loathe people who put that reason as luck. It's not damn luck that you survived the accident, it was timely and accurate medical help. It's not like by chance the people dialed 911 and the ambulance got there on time. It happened because there was no delay in the traffic, no bumbling idiots instead of ER doctors and because your body responded well to medication.

If you didn't then it was a mistake with the system, the doctors screwed up, or that annoying 80 year old hag at the wheel of a broken down fiat was cursing in Italian and refusing to make way for the ambulance.

Now where in that scenario is luck playing a part? It's just people being people.

Imbeciles who say "you were lucky you lived or unlucky you died," ought to be hexed and ridiculed by someone like House, Snape or me, or hundreds of others with straight attitudes.

Doesn't mean I condone being a jerk, I just find it unnecessary to be nice, and amusing to no end, of course.

Didn't you know, we who speak the truth are unmitigated evil bastards and bitches?

What does it matter? I'm going to rant, you're going to read, people are going to whine, and the world will go on as it always had.

More screwed up than yesterday, but the world does move on. With or without you.

So suck it up and grow a backbone, and the sadistic ones who are in heaven because they saved lives or did great noble things may just let you play in their pool just yet.

Maybe.

No comments: